Relationship Wellness with Ken Blackman
In this episode, Mike and Eric are joined by Relationship Coach Ken Blackman.
Human connection is something that’s not easily defined, yet it’s such a fundamental component of human nature. It helps lay the foundation for healthy, lasting relationships while contributing to both physical and mental well being. In today’s episode, we learn about managing emotions, de-escalating conflict, and sex in healthy romantic relationships.
Key Topic Timestamps
- 01:05 - Introduction to Ken & his work
- 03:00 - The importance of human connection
- 10:40 - The evolution of emotions
- 15:25 - Types of contact & touch
- 17:45 - Cultural differences of physical touch
- 21:05 - How to have a healthy “fight” with your partner
- 22:35 - The contagiousness of emotions & limbic regulation
- 24:20 - Managing emotions of ourselves and our partners
- 27:50 - Ways to de-escalate conflict with your partner
- 30:25 - Sex vs. Human Connection
- 32:35 - What is sex? Prosaic vs. Erotic touch
- 34:25 - Is it possible to have a healthy, happy relationship without sex?
- 35:47 - Difference between men & women: simulate vs. stimulate
- 40:10 - The emotional component of women’s pleasure
- A General Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis, Fari Amini, Richard Lannon
- No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert A. Glover
- Study between violence & physical touch