Your Brain and Religion with Dr. Andrew Newberg
In this episode, Mike and Eric are joined by Neurotheology Researcher Dr. Andrew Newberg.
What goes on in our brain during prayer and meditation? The study of neurotheology seeks to understand this. Through various research methods, including neuroimaging, experts have been able to see both short and long term changes in the brain resulting from meditation, prayer, and mindfulness. In today’s episode, we learn about Dr. Andrew Newberg’s research on the relationship between the brain and religious experiences.
Key Topic Timestamps
- 01:00 - What is neurotheology?
- 09:05 - What happens in the brain during meditation, prayer, mindfulness experiences?
- 14:00 - Differences in religious vs. non-religious activity
- 17:05 - Group rituals vs. private setting
- 20:45 - Mindfulness in religious and spiritual contexts
- 23:35 - Long term neurological benefits of these practices
- 28:15 - Psychoactive substance approach to enlightenment and spirituality
- 35:05 - Permanent enlightenment
- 39:55 - Andrew’s personal experience with enlightenment
- 45:25 - Recommendations and practical applicability
- How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain by Andrew B. Newberg & Mark Robert Waldman
- How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings From a Leading Neuroscientist by Andrew B. Newberg
- Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intimacy by Andrew B. Newberg & Mark Robert Waldman
- Neurotheology: How Science Can Enlighten Us About Spirituality by Andrew B. Newberg